Friday, December 18, 2009

Bedroom Help!

*sigh*

What a wonderful day today is!! I got up, watched 2 of my recorded shows, ate some Frosted Flakes, ate a couple of cookies, and have been piddling and cleaning the house. Why is cleaning so amazing, you ask? I will tell you. Cleaning my apartment is amazing because it means I'm not at school. I'm not at school because I'M DONE!!! I had my last final yesterday, so now I have 2 glorious weeks off!

Anyway, as you all know, we are moving soon. This means a whole new house to decorate, which is so exciting for me! My first order of business is our bedroom. Ladies, if I can give you any advice it is this. Do NOT let your husbands pick out your bedroom decor, bedding, colors, etc. It will only bring you hardship! They don't care nearly as much as we do about what the house looks like, so if you go against your better judgement and pick blue and brown to "compromise" with him, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I really do like blue and brown together. However, black and white with a touch of red is my absolute favorite and I know how to decorate with it. I know I've said it before, but if I could do my entire house in black and white, I would be 100% happy. Don't be suprised to find a charcoal gray or black dining room in my house one day, I have big plans.

Back to the issue at hand. Since I did go with blue and brown, I have NO idea what to do. It's too early in our marriage to get rid of our furniture, so I just have to make due. I think I want to go for a glam/shabby chic/elegant/whatever look. I like my lamps and kind of want to go off that, I guess. Silver, crystal, and cream accents. The biggest thing I need is something for over the bed. I hate, absolutely hate, the picture that is over it right now. Why I bought it, I don't know. I am thinking about doing an oval ornate frame with our initials in really pretty script letters, but I don't know if that's too corny. Maybe that and a couple of candle sconces on either side. I just don't know how that will look, so please please give me ideas for what to do!! I'm stuck, which is rare for me with decorating! So sad.

Just an idea of what it could look like:

Also, this is my new wreath. It's supposed to be ivory, but it's a little yellow. Tell me if you think it comes off as yellow or cream... I was thinking about buying some white feathers and gluing them in to tone it down.

5 comments:

Jill said...

ok first: i forgot to give you our christmas card sunday, so you will be getting it late...sorry!

next: i love the wreath and think in the picture it looks ivory

finally: i like the mirror and candle sconces, but you could also just get a big cheap canvas at hobby lobby or somewhere and paint something...stripes, the swirls to match your bedding...whatever-and it might be cheaper. just a thought

Jaime said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaime said...

I too am in love with feather wreaths...pretty sure I am going to have one in the new nursery and yours doesn't look too yellow in the pictures. Very cute!
And I like the idea you have in mind for over your bed. I don't like what I have hanging by my bed either. I hope you don't think this is weird, but what about a vinyl chandelier decal in brown?
I tried to put a link on earlier, but I don't know how to link in the comments...You can find them all over the web and etsy. I really like them. Good luck in your decision.

Kristin and Chance said...

i absolutely love your bedding!! i am looking for some very similar now..i am a BIG fan of the brown and blue look. as a matter of fact, i bout a cute "live laugh love" pillow tonight! i think your idea for the canvas and sconces sounds really cute. if you don't want to do that you can buy any cute picture and put it above your bed. i have a pretty framed thing that says "always kiss me goodnight" that i got at target for like $20!! you could also do those pretty decals that you stick on your wall..i LOVE those.

marbethr said...

Your wreath does not look yellow in the picture. I love the idea of your initials in an oval frame. Can you put decals on the walls in a rental? I wondered if you could if you could order the initials as a decal. Love Jill's idea of getting a canvas and painting it too.