Sunday, May 23, 2010

Boards = Bored

I probably should have some cool stories to share, and in truth, I have done a couple of neat things since I got out of school. The most important being a Sip and See that Linda, Jill, Jenn, and I hosted for Jaime and Jemma. I don't have many pictures of it, and since most of you are either one of those 4 women, or someone who went to the Sip and See, I just didn't get around to posting pics. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, check it out on Jaime's blog. Otherwise, I have been sitting in this room doing one thing: studying. I have my National Boards Part 1 on June 7th, so I have been spending 4-6 hours a day minimum studying. I'm actually getting into information that is harder and that I don't remember, so I'm about to kick it up to about 8 hours a day. Who told me dental school was a good idea? Thanks a lot dad. The good news is that I'm halfway through my Dental Decks; the bad news is I don't remember half of it. The test should be interesting... Here is what I'm studying. The box is a little over a foot long and the cards are 5.5x5". All in all, a very boring summer.
Now and then I'll post some interesting facts that I come across. Like did you know that teeth start to form in the womb as early as 5 weeks? Or that prolonged thumbsucking (past the age of 4) causes flaring of the front teeth, a high palate from where the thumb sits, an overbite/overjet, and can lead to the maxilla (the upper jaw) to be too narrow? Or it is normal (and beneficiary) for kids to have spaces in between their teeth, which are called Primate Spaces?
These are the facts of life. I will share more later. I can tell you all about keeping your kiddos' teeth healthy if you want, just ask me. There are a lot of things you wouldn't think of that are super important for their development! Oh the wonderful world of dentistry!

1 comment:

Christi W said...

Boards studying stinks, but keep up the hard work and you'll be on vacation before you know it!