Friday, February 6, 2009

Pimping

When I looked at dictionary.com, this is what I got for "pimping":

intr.v. pimped, pimp·ing, pimps: To serve as a procurer of prostitutes.



This is always what I had invisioned:



However, in the medical and dental school world it means something much different. I heard it for the first time yesterday in a video about how hard school can be and how God can help us through it... my thoughts were, "excuse me?! What did he just say??" Because apparently it is when professors and attending doctors corner a student and ask them questions -basically- until they cry. We've all seen it on TV, and yes it really does happen. I did not, however, know there was a specific name for it, and I especially didn't think it was "pimping." The thought a professor "pimping" me makes me a little uncomfortable on many levels. So, if I come home crying and tell you I've been "pimped," don't worry, I haven't quit school to be a prostitute.

1 comment:

Christi W said...

I had exactly the same thought during that video. I'd never heard pimping used that way before.
Then, 2 days later, I was hanging out with an MS2 and he started talking about getting pimped and I knew what he meant!