Sunday, April 19, 2009

An Apple a Day...

Does not keep the dentist away. I don't know about you guys, but I always thought if you couldn't brush your teeth, eating an apple or carrots or something else crunchy would be just as good to clean your teeth, maybe just without freshening your breath. However, this is not the case. As I was sitting in my test on Friday and got to this question (and answered correctly), I decided it would be a good blog topic. Nothing can substitute for brushing! And make sure to floss as well. Annnddd- did you know you're supposed to floss BEFORE you brush? It's true!

Also, on my little side bar of useless knowledge, this is what it just said... "Before all-porcelain teeth were perfected in the mid nineteenth century, dentures were commonly made with teeth pulled from the mouths of dead soldiers following a battle. Teeth extracted from the cadavers of U.S. Civil War soldiers were shipped to English dentists by the barrel." ... sick.

For more dental tips with Dr. Maegan, stay tuned every week! Thanks and have a good night!

3 comments:

Jill said...

ok, here's my question: i used to floss before brushing, but every time i go to the dentist for my cleaning, they clean them and THEN floss...so i thought you were supposed to do it last. what's up with that? why do they do it last at the dentist office??

Maegan said...

I don't know. We have to go to an Elementary school and teach kids oral hygiene and that's what they told us to tell the kids.

Jaime said...

I thought you were supposed to floss first too because you stir up all the junk and then you brush it out and away.