Thursday, August 13, 2009

Birthday Week

I don't know how many of you knew, but Tuesday was my 24th birthday! I feel so old... not really. My birthday week started on Friday night when Jordan and I went to Abilene and I got to see my old roomie, Jill, and her husband. I absolutely love and miss her! The main reason we went to Abilene was to meet the Sims, my favorite non-family family. If you've read my blog before, or went to my wedding, you should know who they are. Sophie was my junior bridesmaid and Gavin was a ring bearer. They are stationed in Germany right now, but are in the States for the month. I had been looking forward to seeing them since they left last year! I had so much fun! I ate lunch with the whole crew- Pat, Jennifer, Sophie, Gavin, and Olivia. They are all grown up and so much fun to talk to. Gavin drilled me over my favorite dinosaurs and Olivia informed us that her "favkdj dinosoiiosur is the Tricerakfjl;k -tops" (translated: favorite dinosaur is the Triceratops). This is quite impressive considering she's 2. She also said the pledge of allegiance and I wished I had my video camera to capture it. Jennifer promised to tape it and put it on their website sometime, so hopefully I can share it then. Gavin made a whole army of dinosaurs in the chair next to us, and "made" me a brontosaurus, which I said was my favorite, and was informed it did not exist. Apparently they are now called brachiosauruses... smart kid. And of course, my dear Sophie! We went by ourselves to a pottery place and painted a mug and a vase. I love hanging out with her b/c even though she's 10, you can talk to her like a grown up and she knows what you're talking about. She's just that smart and awesome. And she already knows TONS of German and is in all gifted classes. Hopefully they will come back to the States in the next 3 years, or I will go crazy! I love them!!
My parents also met us in Abilene b/c I haven't seen them in a while and won't for a while. I hate living away from them, especially on my birthday. I just feel like its one of those days you spend with your parents. They were gracious enough to drive to Abilene to meet us, and we had a blast! We ate at Perini's steakhouse (the best ever) and just hung out. I miss them so much! I was really excited about what my mom picked out for me- a set of luggage. But not any ol' luggage- CUTE luggage!
Monday after we got back into town we went to Jill and Brody's house to deliver a safe and see the kids b/c we missed their birthdays last week. She gave me the cutest necklace/earring set. It will be perfect with all my black attire! We also went to Jordan's parents house b/c it was also Norris' b-day last week. If you're keeping count, there are 4 of us in one week... craziness. They gave me a TJ Maxx card, which is always wonderful. I can't wait to go shopping!
Last year was my first year to ever have to go to school on my birthday and it was a total bummer this year as well. I spent the morning hours learning about periodontal disease from Dr. "Archie" Jones and about chronic inflammation from Dr. Neal "the Pinkster" Pinckard. Don't worry, I'm not being disrespectful. The man calls himself "the Pinkster" in 3rd person. I can't say my morning was awful, though, because 3 of my friends brought me a cookie cake to school, not even knowing it is my absolute favorite!! The only bad part was, "Pink" made me stand up and had everyone sing to me. Oh well. Thankfully I had finished the labwork for our afternoon lab early and I was able to go home around 2:45 and lay on the couch.
Jordan did such a good job on my presents, just like usual. He always freaks out and thinks I'm going to hate them, but I always love them. He got me a long list of movies I've been wanting, an iTunes gift card, and best of all, a shoulder-heater-upper-thing that will sooth my aching shoulders after sitting in class for 8 hours. Please don't judge my taste in movies. I never get girlie movies, so he loaded me up. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 1 and 2 are both amazing. (and I hate those kinds of movies)
For dinner Jordan and I decided to try Formosa Garden's Hibachi dinner. We were kind of nervous about it, but it turned out to be fantastic! If you've been to Formosa, you've seen how they added the Hibachi tables in that extra room off to the side. The thing you don't know is that the room is basically sound proof... with no music.... just Jordan and I and our chef.... awkward. He was actually pretty funny, but still. After being totally stuffed we came home and watched Harry Potter: the Order of the Phoenix. (We are finally caught up and ready to see the latest one tomorrow!) As soon as there was a little room in our tummies, we annihilated my cookie cake that he got me. 2 cookie cakes in one day... not a bad birthday!
Thank you everyone for your birthday wishes!! It has been a pretty good week!

3 comments:

Tamra said...

Happy Belated!!! Cookie cakes are my fave on my b-day too. Mmmm.... All your loot looks great. Enjoy!

Jill said...

it stinks that you had to be in school on your b-day. i guess that's the perk of a summer day...usually no school. i'm glad you had sweet friends, though, that got you the cookie. and i LOVE your luggage!

Jaime said...

Well, you know you have another gift coming. It is in my car, just waiting to see you again. Too bad you didn't have that luggage for the cruise. It is way cuter than what you borrowed. Glad you had a good day. (Hope you got my text on Tuesday).