Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Just Not Enough

In the last few weeks, we've been getting tons of e-mails about the availability of the H1N1 and seasonal flue vaccines. At first it looked like they weren't going to get any seasonal vaccines in... but then they were...then it was going to be a limited supply... then everyone who wanted one would be able to get one. Today was the big day- oh boy. I don't know if you know, but I have a little thing about needles. It's not that I'm necessarily afraid, but I just don't do well with them. Sure, I will be giving injections all day every day, but I'm not receiving them. Thankfully, my friend, Lauren, skipped class with me to beat the lunch traffic. We went at 10:00 am, and as we were going in they were announcing that they weren't sure if they had enough for everyone and that we were going to have to wait at least 30 mins. What?!? Didn't the e-mail just say there were enough for everyone??? Someone wayyyy underestimated! We decided to take our chances and entered the school's auditorium. The line snaked all the way around the room and doubled back on itself. After a few minutes in line, we realized they were no longer allowing anyone else to even come in line, which was not a good sign. Our biggest fear was that we would get all the way to the front and they'd tell us they were out. We had skipped Pathology, after all. 45 minutes later, we got close enough to see the nurses. Just a little closer... closer... they started to count people off right as we were getting to the front b/c they didn't have enough for everyone in line, but we made that cut. Closer... closer... and this is what I saw:
The person receiving the wrath of the nurse jumped so high, I thought she might fall out of her chair. Ok, it wasn't that bad, but it really was awful to watch. All I was thinking was, "please God, don't let me get that nurse!!" And what happened?!? Yes, I got that nurse. I decided to tell her I wasn't good with needles and to go gentle on me. The worst part is when they start rubbing your skin with the alcohol. My tummy gets all in knots and I hate the anticipation. And those horrible words, "just a little stick..." BAM!! Boy was I surprised!! It was the best shot I've ever gotten! I know, anticlimatic... sorry. But it really was a relief!!

The people behind me, however, were not so lucky. Lauren and I were literally the last 2 people to get our flu shots. There were a lot of unhappy campers behind us!

The moral of the story is UTHSCSA failed us once again... and sometimes nurses aren't as bad as they look... and sometimes skipping class is good!

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Glad you are vaccinated. Just beware...you might be sore tomorrow. This was the first year that I really remember the flu shot leaving my arm sore for a few days. At least it is over and done with for a year.

Jill said...

i am usually sore, but this year i wasn't at all...who knows?!
clark still has not been able to get his-we have called every week and they STILL don't have any!! hopefully enough other kids have been vaccinated, keeping him safe until he get get his...i dread the day...wanna skip class and come with me? the only thing worse than the lady in that picture will be clark in that picture!

kara said...

now i know to stop saying "just a little stick!" :)