Thursday, June 11, 2009

Food Friday

You may have noticed that my title is not "Fun Food Friday." This is because this week's food was NOT fun. It was an absolute disaster. Last Friday night Jordan and I celebrated our nephew, Briggs', 2nd birthday. As his "cake," Jaime and her brother-in-law made little cake pops in the shape of pigs. They were sooo cute!

Jordan's mom, his sisters, and I were at a wedding reception the next day discussing the cake pops, and I asked where the idea came from. Bakerella.com That's all you need to know people. I went to the site Saturday afternoon and spent an hour looking at all of the amazing creations this woman has made. She is spectacular!! One of my friends had a hard week, so I wanted to cheer her up. I'm not much of a cook, but I thought I'd give baking a try- how hard can it be, right? I'll show you how hard it can be....

This is the look I was going for:
And this is what I got:


After many tries at making the cupcakes, I decided to try another approach. She is a fellow dental student, and I have cookie cutters in the shape of a tooth and a toothbrush, so I thought I had the perfect idea. Wrong again.

Hideous, I know. I had already used up all my white candy melts and had made them pink, but the pink turned out looking gross. I couldn't get the candy melted enough to where it would make a smooth finish, and they cooled way too quickly, and that's what I got. I had some red candy melts and some food coloring, so I thought I would try from scratch to make more coating. My bright idea was to mix the yellow into the red and get orange- - right? That's what you're supposed to get, right?

That's when I gave up. I just threw it all away and texted my friend and told her I was sorry that I couldn't bring her yummy goodness. At least Jordan didn't mind cleaning up some of the screw-ups for me!

The moral of the story is: go to Bakerella.com. And don't expect my kids to have really cute birthday cakes.

3 comments:

Jill said...

oh you crack me up!! i think the cake pops are darling, but the ones you were trying to make look a little tricky for a first timer. maybe next time (yes, i said next time...you can do it!!) you could just try round balls with sprinkles...then get more advanced as you go.
i'm going to post a recipe later...just have to decide what to do first :)

Laura said...

Aww I'm sorry your cupcake things didn't work out...really cute idea though!! Stuff like that takes tons of practice. You'll get it eventually! You'll have to post it on a *fun* food friday post when you do. :)

Jaime said...

Yes, start with just the balls. And did you put them on sticks??? I need to try and make a batch myself. Josh's are just awesome. This weekend when we were there he made coffee flavored ones...yummy. I think Starbucks should buy them from him.